Do you remember a few months ago when we talked about T.V? In the post I mentioned Nature Deficit Disorder. Since then I have gotten quite a few inquires about NDD. Here is more information on one of the newest disorders to plague our homes. The great news, it can totally be prevented. Woo Hoo!
By definition, Nature Deficit Disorder is a lack of routine contact with nature that results in stunted academic and developmental growth.
NDD is an unwanted side effect of the electronic age. Too much time with technology, means not enough time outside.
Did you know....
* About 9 million children ages 6-19 are overweight or obese.
* Childhood obesity has doubled over the last 30 years for preschoolers and adolescents. It has more than tripled for kids 6-11.
* ADD, asthma, and obesity have increased over the last few decades.
* Our children may be the first generation to have a shorter lifespan than their parents. Yikes!
Many argue that these statistics are a direct result of children not spending enough time outside in nature.
Why should we send our kids outside to play?
- Helps build healthy immune systems in children.
- Buffers children against the effects of stressful events.
- Positive effect on the psychological well-being of children.
- Less anxiety
- Less Depression
- Children feel better about themselves, higher sense of self worth
- They recover more quickly from stressful life events
- Lower levels of behavioral disorders.
- Improved attention span
- Ability to concentrate and pay attention better
- Teaches children to be more creative and to solve problems